Week #11 – The Internet

Week #11 – The Internet!

Did you miss last week’s post? Go here <–

Today’s class video recording from 11/16:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/7PrcpYPSK8_VMEK7jFEo-vttu-6DAtrd5jfYe9K1X-w5njAXiLIUZiJGdsPcklqL.MQvPobgrdcUCXLmu

Passcode: +Y.4Ee3k

A Few Important Due Dates to Watch:

1. Mid-Semester Assessment / Reflection – due now (please send asap via e-mail)
  2.  Final Term Paper Draft due (3-4 pages) – preferably due between 11/16 – 11/30 (send via e-mail)
  3. Final Term Paper –(6 pages – NOT including the bibliography page) preferably due between 12/7 – 12/15 – (send via e-mail)
  4. Final Course Assessment / Reflection – 1-2 pages – due 12/15 (send via e-mail)

Class Discussion:

• How many hours a week do you think that you spend online? What do you mainly do online? How much time do you spend reading e-mail, surfing the web or using instant messaging or other chat programs? What are your top 3 favorite websites?
  • How many e-mail messages do you receive on a typical week day? How many of those messages are spam? How do these numbers affect you?
  • How many of us, since the pandemic evolved, have and continue to purchase most of their needed products over the Internet? How many of us do our banking / pay bills online? Do have security concerns about online transactions?

Let’s watch the videos below:

(The second video can be watched outside of class and included in the reaction)

Assignment: Respond in the comments section below ->

1. What did you think of the 2 videos above? Not only based on the information and content but on a technical and presentation based level?
  2. What do you know now that you did not know before watching both of the videos on Internet history? What stands out the most?
  3. Do the videos induce and alter / reshape the way that you will think about the Internet moving forward? What changes might you make as a result?
  4. Additional reflections – what else comes to mind? What might the “Internet” look like in 25 years from now?

Please write a 200 – 350-word response and post it into the comments section below, preferably by our next class time. You will also need to comment on one of your classmates’ responses by the following week as well. Engage!

(***I strongly suggest that you generate your response(s) using a word processing application like ms word, pages or notes first, make the necessary spelling and grammatical corrections and then copy and paste your work into the comments section below***)

Internet History Relatedness:

The Internet – <– wiki

What is World Wide Web? <– wiki

Internet Archives <– all things Internet (including the way back web)

17 thoughts on “Week #11 – The Internet”

1. I find it so amazing and such a privilege to be born and around in generatin of such change and innovation with the use of technology. It really put it into perspective how when you build and conscurte new ideas, it will quite literally change the world in ways I cant even comprehend. Watching the video, I lierally did not know any of the information. I genuinely enjoyed that video so much. Although everything quite literally stood out to me, if i had to choose one that stood out the most it would have to be either the smiley face being the first meme or the animated baby. I use “:-)” so much, more than emjois i would say. Its so cool now that I understand the history behind it and how important it truly is. The animated baby also stood out to me because I see that EVERYWHERE. So knowing the history behind that too was super cool. As mentioned before, watching has made me realize so much about the internet which definetly alterd the way I think about the internet. As far to changes to the internet I cant really imagine what the internet will look like in 25 years. I lowkey could see holograms and using the internet in that form. I dont even know if thats possible, but from what I am learning and realizing, anything is possible.

2. The videos both were pretty detailed and eye-catching to explain the upcoming of the internet. The videos both spoke in chronological order and showed how the previous milestone helped create the next one. They were both pretty informational and spoke about the different timelines of the internet. After watching the video, I actually learned what the first meme was. I am 20 so my first real encounters with the internet to more modern standards were in middle school. So considering the last 10 years of my life, I’d like to say that I’m knowledgeable on memes and for some reason I don’t recognize that meme at all. It’s just interesting to see how things circulate on the web depending on what “zones” you’re in based on your interests. The video did make me think about how far the internet has changed in the past but how stagnant it’s been lately. I feel like we’ve gotten so much newer technology in terms of the internet in the past but nothing new as of the current world. Even TikTok the app is still new to the world but the concept is nothing different from what has been done in the past. I hope that in the future new concepts can be formed to help intrigue people more. Just think of Snapchat, it was so popular 3-4 years ago but since other apps have incorporated the concept of it, it’s really died down. I also hope in the future that laws don’t become more strict about what can be posted and make people lose the freedom to use certain aspects to help with their contribution to the internet.

1. Hi!! I agree with you when you mentioned ,”Even TikTok the app is still new to the world but the concept is nothing different from what has been done in the past. ” and I wanted to add and expand more on that! I have noticed that tiktok lately has been the backbone or maybe the new blueprint for many apps now. For example, youtube now has a section called “shorts” which are shorter form of video sharing in 60 seconds, just like the concept of tiktok. Same thing with instagrams Reels. Although as you mentioned, its nothing different from the past, these new ideas expand and inspire other programs.

3. What I think of the two videos I watched about the history of the internet is that the internet has come a very long way from what we have now. The internet has always been shaping our way of communicating from the days of facebook to the days of instagram and tiktok. The internet has always been meant to be a form of communication and a way for people to come together and explain about their experiences and share everything that they have to. The presentation that the two videos were made in were amazing considering the time and age that they were made. The information that stands out to me the most in these two videos is that the first email was sent all the way back in 1971. The first email took a lot of power and engine to make possible and now we could send an email with ease. The videos do not at all reshape the way I thought about the internet because I know that technology will always keep on advancing no matter what and humans know no bounds on what they can reach. The internet would be a lot more social 25 years from now and we will see a lot more advancements in the internet and see a lot of people create more apps to see that.

1. Hey Ray,

I know the whole email concept is shocking to me as well. I’m surprised that the initial idea was to just send it to the same computer, which is kind of pointless. But it also makes me appreciative of how far its grown. Now we can send them across different email systems, share links, and even schedule when it’ll be sent. It’s honestly so interesting on how far the internet has changed in less than a century. Thank you for sharing.

4. I think these two videos, in many ways, show how fast the internet ages in comparison to most technologies. Both videos show how far the internet has come from its creation, from being a tool in the cold war to being a pillar of modern society. It’s also a juxtaposition from the internet when the videos were being made to where the internet is now with one video being made in 2009 when banking technology is still developing, and in 2019, when article 13 is still under consideration. The landscape on the internet 5 years ago is not the same landscape as it was now or even ten years ago. I think learning about the first blogs and the first post was something I didn’t know about although I was aware of the first YouTube and Twitter posts. The videos haven’t changed my view of the internet as much but it does reinstall a lot of the reasons why I love the internet and why it has become a massive part of who I am. It serves as a window and a reflection of humanity and it keeps me connected to people I otherwise feel disconnected from. It’s simultaneously encouraging and dreadful, seeing how my primary connection to the world is an amalgamation of the best and worst of humanity. I think something that came to mind and something I think is very important is the fact that the internet is more consolidated than it has ever been. It’s nice to have a home base, in some sense, an area of the internet that you go to as a jumping-off point or a place to return to. With that being said, Social Media programs have homogenized and kept people in echo chambers. These platforms have dictated discussion and have monopolized the digital space. I worry that in 25 years, the internet will be a lot more consolidated in these smaller sites and apps. A lot of media platforms have met a similar fate but the internet has become so influential that these monopolized spaces can and have limited the expression of others and control the direction of society.

1. I agree that the internet has aged signifacntly and the internet will continue to do so until the end of times because people will always make improvements to it and we will see it get more advance as we go on.

2. you made a really good point that the videos help reinstall a lot of the reasons why you love the internet and why it has become a massive part of who you are and i couldn’t agree more. It really put into perspective how it has impacted my psychosocial development that i really wasnt aware of.

5. These two videos were both very interesting in the sense that in the first video we were introduced to the man who started the whole idea of “the internet” and the video further elaborated on the spread of the internet, the evolution of the internet, and the usage of the internet then and now. The first video was more of a documentary presentation where we even saw the changes/evolution of video quality from back then to now. The second video’s presentation was also very interesting because it was presented in more of a clipart format. This made the video more enjoyable. I now know that the first email was sent by Ray T, which I did not know before watching both. The concept that stands out the most to me is because the evolution of email now is so advanced that, back when he made his discovery, you were only able to send email to another user on the same computer.” Today we’re able to send emails to anyone across the planet in just a matter of minutes. I don’t think that these videos altered the way I think of the internet moving forward. Instead, I’d like to gain a better understanding of the internet and how it all began. In about 25 years from now, the internet will definitely be more advanced than it is today. There will be plenty of changes to the Internet in the future, but it will remain the Internet. The privacy, security, and cyber policy issues that we will have to deal with in the future will require us to connect to a variety of protocols. The likes of Wikipedia, Coursera, Khan Academy, Google, and other popular web have been around since the beginning of the Internet’s evolution as well as at this current level of development.

1. Hi Ethan, Great response. I agree with these strong points you made, “A lot of media platforms have met a similar fate but the internet has become so influential that these monopolized spaces can and have limited the expression of others and control the direction of society.” This sentence from your response stands out to me because the internet does have a great number of influences on how society operates today. To add my thoughts to your question as the internet moves forward, sites like Wikipedia and Google will have a lot of control over its direction because they have access to what users use the internet for. They can use that data to the best of their technological advancement to help users enjoy the web more.

1. I agree I like the design and the art for the 2nd video and the way that it was presented in that format so that we could all see.