Week #10 – Film & Video

Week #10

Film, Video, Documentary & More

Did you miss last week’s post? Go here <–

A Few Important Due Dates to Watch:

1. Final Term Paper Bibliography / Sources – due ASAP– if you need more time please be in touch and let me know when I can expect to receive it. (send via e-mail)
  2. Mid-Semester Assessment Reflection – due between 10/26 – 11/11 (send via e-mail)
  3.  Final Term Paper Draft due (3-4 pages) – preferably due between 11/16 – 11/23 (send via e-mail)

**Class recording from 11/9/22 –

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/igtRho7UEAtK6vO4TJ_dnd1LQr_3t22izxSCaR1UWL4eKjnhieLbr_z5l03kKYg.bzDcFHu3kHTOCMJJPasscode: +a#.m51p

Class Discussion:

There is no doubt that entertainment and entertainment culture is a huge part of both popular and world culture. The birth of the Internet and the immediacy of instant publishing has forever changed the way that we create, share and consume entertainment content.

What is your favorite form of “moving image” based content / entertainment? Movies? Documentaries? TV / TV Series? Home Video? You Tube? Other?

Search engines like Giphy allow for Internet users to both discover and resonate with “snippets and clips” of our favorite motion based content in the form of loops – AKA GIFs. Can you find an animated GIF of one of your favorite movies and add the URL directly into the Zoom Chat box?

Let’s watch the video below:

Assignment: Respond in the comments section below ->

1.Were you familiar with the Artist “Banksy” before seeing this short documentary?

2.What do you think about the Documentary? Is this a documentary or something else? What do you think of the film-makers approach and delivery of showcasing the artist’s work?

3.What role does public art play in how exposing and shaping an opinion or mindset on a various issues?

4. Other reflections or connections? Is this peice “journalism”?

Please write a 200 – 350-word response and post it into the comments section below, preferably by our next class time. You will also need to comment on one of your classmates’ responses by the following week as well. Engage!

(***I strongly suggest that you generate your response(s) using a word processing application like ms word, pages or notes first, make the necessary spelling and grammatical corrections and then copy and paste your work into the comments section below***)

***********************************

***********************************

FILM AND VIDEO

CHAPTER 7

HISTORY: GOLDEN MOMENTS

Edison’s camera (1888)
The Birth of Cinema (1895): The Lumiere brothers
Great Train Robbery (1903)
Industry moved to Hollywood for better weather and space (1915)
“The Birth of a Nation” directed by D.W. Griffith – first feature-length film (1915)
The first golden age: The silent film era (1903-1927)

HOW TO USE IMAGES

Silent films: 1903-27
Established today’s genres
Westerns – The Great Train Robbery
War movies – Napoleon
Horror – Dracula
Romance – The Sheik
Comedies – Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton
Dramas – Intolerance
Documentaries – Nanook of the North
Action/adventure – Thief of Bagdad

Film HISTORY: GOLDEN MOMENTS

Hollywood star system (1910s, ‘20s): Charlie Chaplin
MPPDA: Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America, aka The Hays Office (1922)
Motion Picture Code: self-censorship
The Jazz Singer : The first talkie (1927)

HOW TO USE SOUND

Warner Brothers: Jazz Singer
Dialogue; “blackface”
“Talkies” end golden age of silent films
Singin’ in the Rain
Influx of new talent
New genres
screwball comedies: It happened one night (1934)
historical epics: Gone with the Wind (1939)
film noir: dark, moody American films
“Sunset Boulevard”
Mysteries: “The 39 Steps” by Alfred Hitchcock (1935)

PEAK OF MOVIE IMPACT?

Movies’ cultural impact on U.S. and world, 1930s & ’40s
Theater could be an all-day affair
Newsreel, serials, double features
70 million tickets a week
Escapism during Depression
“The Wizard of Oz” (1939)
Studios form MPEAA (Motion Picture Export Association of America); U.S. movies go international

VERTICAL INTEGRATION

Studio system
Five major studios (Paramount, MGM/Loews, Warner Bros., Fox and RKO)
Owned production and distribution (movie theaters)
Quality films and B movies
Federal regulators worried
Studios had distinctive styles

BEST FILM EVER?
“Citizen Kane” directed, produced and starred by Orson Welles (1941)

FILM FACES TV, 1948-60
TV hurt box office receipts
Government limits concentration of ownership in film system – Studios sell off theaters
Movies shift to suburbs: drive-ins, shopping centers
Studios produce series, movies for TV (1950s-60s)

FILM FACES TV, 1948-1960S
Color, wide-screen film
Studios respond with lavish spectacles
Ben Hur (1959)
Added controversial material->
Sex: “Dr. No” (1962)
Social issues: “Guess Who’s Coming for Dinner” (1967)

STUDIOS IN DECLINE

Studios struggled (but survived with a few hits), thrived (by going into TV)
Audiences change
Younger, cosmopolitan, wanted sensation/social observation
Independent producers gain power
Francis Ford-Coppola “The Godfather”
Woody Allen “Annie Hall”
Political and topical films
M*A*S*H, Taxi Driver, The Graduate
Pushing censorship limits (Hays Office closed)
MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) self-regulated ratings
Exports boost U.S. profits in 1950s, ‘60s
Return to blockbusters with Jaws in 1975, Star Wars in 1977
Special effects, sound systems: raising costs
First-run distribution aims at 15- to 24-year-olds

HOLLYWOOD MEETS HBO

Cable TV (HBO in 1975)
Video rentals: VCRs, DVDs
Began with independent shops, taken over by chains (Blockbuster-only one left in Oregon))
Blockbuster phenomenon
Audience segmentation (Japanese anime)
Movies made for TV (and now for cable)
Hallmark, Lifetime
Movies turned into TV, cable series and vice versa
Film-to-TV: Minority Report, Fargo
TV-to-film: Sex and the City, Charlie’s Angels

MOVIES GO DIGITAL

Technology, market forces transform movie industry
Home video revenue more than box office
Rentals; video and DVD (1997) sales
Revenue dropped with digital distribution
Production costs skyrocket
Revival of independent (indie) films
Competition from video games
Internet downloads/DVD release
Netflix: fewer movies, more original programming
Franchise films: Iron Man, Spider-man
Digital projectors and 3-D

MOVIE VIEWING

Digital light processors
Increase in digital screens, 3-D and IMAX theaters
Blu-Ray DVDs
BitTorrent: illegal downloads
Netflix, Amazon, iTunes
Video on demand

THE FILM INDUSTRY

Players: Eight major producers, a few conglomerates (Columbia, Fox, MGM, Paramount, Universal, Warner Bro., Buena Vista/Disney, TriStar/Sony)
Each produces 15-25 movies a year (1/6 of 500 annual releases in the U.S.),. In 1946, the average per studio is 40-60.
Average cost: More than $100 million each
Independent filmmakers
Most films made are independent (72 % in 2009); very few are ever distributed (500 out of 900 in 2009)
Film festivals
The guilds: writers (Writers Guild of America) and actors (Screen Actors Guild)
Film finance: Hollywood controls financing
Distribution ‘windows’
Releasing everything simultaneously or at similar times to counter piracy
Growth in movie industry
Theaters (18000 screens in 1980 and 40000 in 2009)
Box office (10 billion in US/Canada, 30 billion worldwide)
Home video: 34 billion in rental and sales in the US

GLOBAL FILM INDUSTRY

India: (Bollywood) More than 800 films per year
Nigeria (Nollywood): 50 films per year
USA (Hollywood): About 600 films per years

TELLING STORIES: FILM CONTENT

Team effort: Not just the actors!
Director plays central role
Development, content, performance, innovation, promotion
Financing: why Hollywood studios still dominate
Finding audience segments
Comedy, drama, action, horror, sci-fi, classics, family, western, animation, documentary, foreign
Blockbusters: Action/Adventure, horror, sci-fi, drama
More diverse audiences means more diverse content
Social media needed to create buzz

FILM AND YOUR SOCIETY

Violence, sex and profanity
MPAA’s rating system began in 1968
G: general audience
PG: Parental guidance
PG-13: Parental guidance for 13 and up
R: Restricted, 17 and up
NC-17: No one under 17
Industry’s piracy concerns
MPAA opposed VCRs, until it realized money could be made
Now, illegal downloading
Crackdown on piracy abroad (Berne Copyright Convention)
Taping first-run movies: flashing dots, night vision goggles on premiere night, video fingerprinting

22 thoughts on “Week #10 – Film & Video”

1. I was familiar with Banksy before seeing the documentary. About 5 or 6 years ago, I first saw his artwork on Facebook. Through his artwork, he had an effect on society. One of Banksy’s most well-known images is Girl with a Balloon. A powerful gust of wind is blowing the child’s hair and clothes as she reaches out to a red heart-shaped balloon that is just out of her grasp in the picture.The public gets to read meanings into these works of art. “Stop and search” is another of his most well-known works. In the documentary, they discussed Banksy in general as well as the extent of his influence. The documentary video discussed his humble beginnings and the extent of his artistic development. Public art plays an invaluable role in our society and our life. Our changing culture and public history are distinguished by the public art that exists today. It portrays and illuminates our culture, gives our towns and cities purpose, and gives our neighborhoods their own distinctiveness.I think the public art offers a point of junction for the past, present, and future, as well as for disciplines and ideas.

2. I was not familiar with Banksy until I saw the documentary. Before the documentary, I saw the Girl with Ballon as another high-art stunt that a lot of people tend to do in that realm. I think a lot of my opinions on the work before were based on my view of the art world, specifically how museums and the aristocrats that traded these works of art, redefine them through how they are viewed and traded. The trajectory of Banksy’s career can only be described as heavily ironic and very similar to many artists who obtain notoriety.

I think the documentary is good, it’s very familiar since I view a lot of videos like this on YouTube. I think a lot of YouTube videos have become equal in quality to a lot of the Documentaries we see in cinemas, TV, and streaming services. In fact, I’d argue that they are better since being independent makes them free to discuss the topic however they want. That can also serve as a detriment if they strongly implement their agenda into their work and have it affect the way they tell a story but aside from the strong human bias I’ve always seen these videos as a stronger alternative to traditional mainstream media.

I think Public art can help us understand what people truly think about current events. As said before, Banksy’s career is truly ironic because the high society and elites he critiqued in his work adopted his work, whether it was because Banksy’s work was highly exposed which increased its value it was adopted by elites as a way to show that they were progressive and not fully out of touch with the public. That initial popularity was due to the fact that it spoke to people and critiqued a system that went against a lot of people. Art is a form of expression and it is especially used as a way to express discontent which is why a lot of countercultural movements use it.
    I think that this video is journalism. I have always considered YouTube videos like this and even social media platforms like Twitter as “The New News” because independent parties like small groups or even one person can make a well-researched, highly informed video to communicate current events.

3. Before seeing the documentary I was familiar with Banksy and how much he had an impact on society with his paintings and art. I appreciate his messages and how often he likes to call out world leaders and politicians. Banksy also calls out society as a whole and we should be doing better in this life. While watching the documentary I was thinking that they talked about Banksy as a whole and how much of an impact he had. The documentary video spoke about his humbling beginnings and how much he had grown as an artist. These art pieces show how the public can perceive certain events and take certain things as messages. Banksy’s work can show people how to do certain things and send them a message that they can’t decline. Art has a way of doing that. Overall Banksy’s art pieces can count as journalism as they tend to combat and tell people a story of what’s going on in social events. One of the most recent events he did was when he painted in Ukraine to send a message to stop the rampage that’s going on in that country. Banksy is overall an amazing artist and I fully support what he is doing. Banksy is making a change in his own way and making pieces to send out messages as to what is going on. I fully support banksy and he is doing great things in this world.

1. Hi Ray, I agree with you as you mention Banksy is enacting change in his own unique way and creating works that convey messages about what is happening. As we saw one of his most recent actions was painting in Ukraine to urge an end to the rampage that is taking place there.

4. I’ve never heard of Banksy but his art is work I’ve seen before. I would consider this a documentary as it does talk about Banksy’s life and rise to fame. I think the film maker did an excellent way of showing Banksy’s work, through a chronological order. He went into detail about the different landmarks of Banksy’s life and shows how it only just builded up on one another. Banksy’s work made a really good impact on how people viewed things both in the political world and real world. His artwork showed messages and highlighted things that were wrong and was able to really communicate with his audience. The fact he had a whole artshow when he talked about poverty over the world really sent a message. His art on the apartheid wall in Bethlem was one of the first art pieces to be displayed on it. With his initial art work, he was able to encourage thousands of more artists and people to display their own work and kind of start a movement of the crimes happening there. He really started a movement that enabled people to show their own criticisms of the world through their art. I have never visited the wall, but I do have close family friends that have and every year they’ve shown me the wall and how much art is on it and I’m glad to know who started it now. I am actually visiting England this winter break and I will definitely make time to view his work.

1. Excellent! You can find a few maps of “banksy” works online for various places he has been! Many of them are longer in place as they have been removed or stolen, but there still are many!

5. I actually thought this was a great documentary about Banksy the artist. I was not familiar with this artist before this documentary. I do think it is a documentary because Jake depicted Banksy’s actual life and art. I believe Banksy would’ve approved this documentary because it seemed unbiased and true to what Banksy represented. I appreciated how much Jake focused on the art and what it represented and did not try to focus on trying to figure out who Banksy was. With that being said, it was great to see that even though Banksy’s art went against popular culture it still became famous because of what it stood for. When he said that capitalism had a place for even its enemies I realized his sentiments. Although he was vandalizing public property which was clearly illegal, now that he has become popularized his “artwork” was selling for millions even though he didn’t own many of them anymore. Even the fact that he went from running from the police to the police protecting his art spoke volumes. Personally, I appreciate an artist like him whose sole mission is expression. Being able to go against popular opinion and being able to monetize it is always an amazing accomplishment to me. Lastly, even though he became a multimillionaire, the fact that his mind state did not change speaks volumes. When he said “I started out wanting to save the world but now I don’t know if I like it enough” surprised me because I thought he would be satisfied with the outcome of the popularity of his artwork. Being true to his mission I believe he would’ve rather people interpret his message for change and understanding rather than just being sensationalized.

1. Excellent! I agree, documentary based on the artist and his life. The final quote was also rather interetsting, as you mentioned – and makes me question if it contradicts some of his work? Is that on purpose or am I Im reading it wrong?

2. I agree with you in the fact that banksy did not change and the fact that he likes to send his messages to people through his art. Banksy is an amazing artists and he just wants people to see what is going on in the world.

3. I agree Banksy has a lot of great messages such as his quote about the world is possilby not worth saving. There is so much corruption going on that it has to be a group effort and multiple people need to take a stand for the right cause.

6. I had never heard of Banksy before seeing the short documentary about Aritis, Banksy’s work/history. I did, however, recognize a few pieces of his artwork. This was a very interesting piece of documentary. It really caught my attention. It is undeniable that the artist’s presentation of his work is a masterpiece. The general public is also attracted to it because of the way it attracts their attention. This film felt like a short, yet detailed and informative film in a short amount of time. The Youtuber did an amazing job capturing the amazing moments in Banksy’s art history, very informative to his audience. The information presented was very detailed, and I learned about several artworks, the artist, and even the background of how the artist and his artworks became so famous. The role that public art plays in exposing and shaping an opinion or mindset on various issues is key. It is possible to share opinions, facts, and an artist’s point of view without saying a word about situations they agree with or disagree with using public artwork. “A picture speaks a thousand words.” To add on,
    Throughout the world, artists contribute creative, intellectual, and emotional insights to society as a whole, by conveying the power of their creative ideas to the masses. There is no doubt that art helps cultures unite and is a powerful catalyst for economic growth. This is because art is a prettier, better, and happier place to live. This piece can definitely be viewed as journalism. This is because the creator of this film was able to gather an abundance of information about the artist and his work. He created a very detailed and informative film.

7. Before watching the documentary, i was not aware of the artist Banksy but while watching i did recognize his piece called “The girl balloon.” which i was never knew who the artist was and the impact he has had. I really enjoyed this documentary because it was completely different than I thought it was going to be. I really enjoyed seeing how different and rebellious he is. It felt raw and he was relatable yet very intelligent in the way he goes about his art. The creator of the documentary did an amazing job keeping it entertaining yet informational. I would definitely call this a documentary. It captures and documents Banksy’s life through interviews,images, dialogue and much more. According to nicelysaid, a documentary is a film that contains subjects,purpose, form, Production method and technique and Audience experience. This definitely checked all the requirements. I love the way the film-maker went about building it. Everything he included was very relevant and tied in together fluently. Public art portrays and might even expose societal issues that go on in current,past and even future issues. It is a very inexpensive way to gain exposure on what’s going on around the world. If by piece you are referring to the film I would say this is journalism. Its reporting news from a film perspective. If we are referring to if his art is journalism I would still say yes because it’s journalism without words. It again captures societal issues without having any words attached to it.

1. Hi Deborah, I agree with your response 100%. The creator’s outstanding skills captured this artist’s best moments, talent, history, and even art pieces. I too agree that this short film can be seen as a document because the YouTuber presented us with many facts and personal and informational information about the artist. A documentary is only alive because of the story it tells. Banksy is truly a talented artist. I honestly wonder how Banksy came up with his brilliant ideas and what were his inspirations.

2. I also think this was a good documentary. I feel like he portrayed Banksy’s artwork how it was supposed to, especially to a new audience like us. It was great to see someone like Banksy take the risk just to express himself about social issues. I’m pretty sure he won’t, but I wonder if he will ever reveal himself to the world so that everyone could know who’s the face is behind the artwork.

3. Hey Deborah,

Reading your comment made me realize I actually forgot to answer the journalism question, and since you described it well I’ll add to it. Yes, both the documentary and Banksy’s art is considered journalism. I actually like the way today’s world is taking a different approach to journalism. The new approaches through art really leave it to people to interpret it differently. This obviously isn’t the most ideal as everyone will get a different meaning from it but at the same time, it will be interesting to see how different perspectives can form in others. Thank you for sharing and sorry for using your post haha!

4. There are a lot of painitings Banksy did that we didn’t realize and after finding out who the artists was made it all the better.