Week #6 – Music

Week #6 – Music

Did you miss – Week #5 <– Go Here

Here is the class zoom recording from 10/12:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/VE2T1x4d1WblcfGS2nC-_OoIRmTqGyoPpwp9VcYVs9JKA91EDnHQ1g46k5-QUUYJ.ByCGy6x4BYzNjSeY

Passcode: Y@4.xhTD

*Reviewing the Final Term Paper Topic Proposal Format – Does your proposal formatting need a revision or visual example? Here are 2 useful examples to examine example 1example 2

*A .PDF resource for how to Cite your Electronic Sources – PDF Example Here

**Final Term Paper Topic Proposal due by – 10/12 – 10/14

**Final Term Paper Bibliography due by – 10/19 – 10/26

The History of Music – Various places and spaces from the Internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_music

https://www.infoplease.com/culture-entertainment/music/music-timeline

A Brief History of Music – From Origins to the Present Day

Discussion in Class:

What are the music copyright issues?

Issues include making sure that artists get reimbursed for radio and Internet play and trying to forestall piracy of digital recordings over the Internet.

What is the career outlook for the music industry?

The music business is one of constant change. This hyper-competitive industry always has openings for musicians and those in creative fields. The field has changed due to the increasingly user-friendly and cheaper recording options available both at home and in the studio. The key to breaking into the music industry is networking and making connections among the professionals already in the field.

How has the music industry responded to illegal file-sharing services?

The Radio Industry Association of America sued services such as LimeWire to shut them down. The RIAA also has sued individuals for breaking copyright laws by sharing music files but no longer emphasizes that strategy. The industry has tried to protect CDs and music files so that songs can’t be copied and shared. The industry also has moved, belatedly, to offer online music stores that provide legal file-sharing.

Assignment: Watch the short documentary below produced by the Financial Times on how to make money in the music industry.

Questions to Answer:

Are record labels too powerful and stifling the industry?

As a music fan, would you like to see a more diverse music scene?

What does the future of the Music Industry look like in 5 years?

What does the future of the Music Industry look like in 20 years?

Please write a 150 – 300-word response and post it into the comments section below, preferably by our next class time. You will also need to comment on one of your classmates’ responses by the following week as well. Engage!

(***I strongly suggest that you generate your response(s) using a word processing application like ms word, pages or notes first, make the necessary spelling and grammatical corrections and then copy and paste your work into the comments section below***)

****************************************

CHAPTER 5

RECORDED MUSIC

EARLY RECORDED MUSIC
Nickelodeons (Late 1800s)
Phono-graph – Edison (1877)
The Victrola – (1906)
Dixieland, show tunes
“Big band” and the radio days
Live broadcasts
World War II generation
Band leaders (Miller, Dorsey)
Frank Sinatra

New musical genres: gospel, blues, bluegrass
Western music, singing cowboys led to country and western
Followed Southern migrants north
Blues
Followed African-American migrants to Chicago, New York

HISTORY OF ROCK AND ROLL
Roots were in blues, but also influenced by country, swing, rockabilly
Bill Haley (“Rock Around the Clock”), Elvis Presley (“That’s All Right, Mama”)
By late ’60s: Motown, English groups, heavy rock … all still known as “rock”
DJs and payola

RECORD BOOM AND POP MUSIC
1947: magnetic tape
33⅓ rpm(revolutions per minute)long-playing (LP) record for albums
45 rpm records for hit singles
Concept albums and long cuts (The Beatles)
Singer-songwriters (like Dylan) go electric

Elvis, Beatles, Rolling Stones
Lacks authenticity?
Cultural hybridization

ROCK REVOLUTION WILL BE SEGMENTED
After 1970, distinct genres:
Album-oriented rock, Top 40, oldies, heavy metal,
adult contemporary, R&B/urban, disco, country and western
Smaller labels = musical sub-genres
Musicians evolved into producers, owners
In 1982, CDs introduced

DIGITAL RECORDING
Artists, consumers recording in digital
Low-cost digital equipment
Industry’s diminished role as gatekeepers
Bands tour and sell online
Line between consumer, producer blurring
Emergence of truly local music markets

MUSIC ON THE INTERNET
In 1999, Napster let people exchange songs via Internet
Stolen or shared?
RIAA (Recording Industry Asso. of America) filed lawsuits
Industry sued to stop copyright violations
Today, music still shared through sites like BitTorrent

iTunes created in 2003
$1.29 a song
Apple passes Walmart in record sales (2008)
iPod & MP3 music players
Subscription and cloud services
Spotify, Pandora

CD sales grew until 2013
Growth in digital track sales
Industry hasn’t recouped lost revenue from CDs
Record sales don’t tell whole story
Revenue growth in concerts, mobile services, global markets, publishing

NEW DIGITAL FORMATS
Music recording and computer media have converged
Laptop, phone also used as stereo
“Near” CD quality
Earbuds emphasize volume over fidelity (the louder, the better)

SINKING THE PIRATES
Music “sharing” led to digital music initiative
Encrypted music
Apple’s FairPlay limited number of copies of downloaded song
Consumers: “No!”

CLOUD MUSIC SERVICES AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Music can be stored in a cloud locker
Played anywhere on any device
Thanks to high-speed wireless
Social music media
Then: Bands used MySpace to upload streaming music
Now: MySpace? What’s that?
Musicians now use other social media channels to promote music
Facebook, YouTube, Bandcamp, Twitter, SoundCloud

INDUSTRY: THE SUITS
Elements of the recording industry
Talent
Start out local, move to regional, (very few) make it big
Recording studios and record companies
Act as gatekeepers
Three big companies dominate the industry (down from four)
International industry

INDUSTRY: THE SUITS
Promotion
Expensive
First-week sales determine a hit
Indie labels and self-promotion
Radio, MTV not as important in promotion
YouTube, soundtracks, competition TV shows now more important

MUSIC DISTRIBUTION
Retail store sales (Walmart, Best Buy) declining
Online purchases now dominant
Apple makes just a few cents off every iTunes purchase
Labels counting on streaming services for revenue

WHO CONTROLS THE MUSIC?
Three companies: Sony, Universal, Warner
Live Nation dominates concert ticket sales, promotions
Sharing or stealing?
Mash-ups, sampling
Music distribution over Internet
SOPA, PIPA

“Poor, starving artists”?
Some bands signing with independent labels, or starting their own labels
Internet revolutionizes music promotion, marketing
Creative distribution
Radiohead
Some traditional labels experimenting with online distribution
Music censorship
Warning labels on CDs; artists self-censoring

GLOBAL IMPACT OF POP MUSIC GENRES
Spread of rap and hip-hop
Rap as protest genre
Fear of rap as new form of imperialism, Americanization
Hip-hop becoming localized in other countries

54 thoughts on “Week #6 – Music”

1. Record labels are indeed too powerful and stifle the industry. From the video I learned that without a record label you as an artist will be unable to really do much in terms of getting your music out there, it was made clear that they are the ones that put the right people in front of you and so on but at a cost. This cost isn’t observed as strongly by artist because they might see the benefits the record label provides financially and jump ship without reading in between the lines enough. Music diversity I feel is not a huge issue as it might’ve been decades ago, since most music scenes now are open to anyone with any genre interest. This diversity flourishes an industry as is so I doubt this aspect will change much, is great to have a variety of music scenes all over the world. The music industry in 5-20 years can be difficult to think of, but I would say there is a possibility that there would be less big companies for record labels, this actually pushing artist to go to just a few records label companies that might have more demanding rights to their music, this of course being a negative thing. Unless major artists continue to fight against record label companies policies, then maybe there is a future with more wide ranged record deals with less string tied to them that benefit more the company than the artist themselves.

2. Are record labels too powerful and stifling the industry?

– Yes, record labels are too powerful and stifling not only the industry but the artists. The record labels run under a strict regime it’s their way or the highway. The artists are ultimately stifled, and they buckle under pressure to conform to the labels vision and image. Ultimately creativity, individuality, and fun elements are taking out of the music which leads to less variety in music.

– Yes, I would like to hear more diversity in rap music and dancehall music. I think those two genres of music for me are at a standstill now, but I know things can turn around. Mainstream music is quite repetitive which doesn’t lead enough room for more creative experimental artists. Artists that stay true to themselves and their craft are less promoted or looked over in the music industry, which is unfortunately because they are the good change the industry needs.

– The future of music is doomed at this point unless there is a drastic change which I don’t envision happening any time soon. The bigger heads in the music industry prefer to stick to an outdated business model that has always worked to make them revenue. Their way of doing business kills creative music because creative music is exactly the opposite. Good music that is timeless is not about sticking to what has always worked, it is about trying something new to keep the listeners interested.

– I believe if the major labels don’t change their dealings with the artists and music there will be a lot more independent artists that will be creating their own labels.

1. Great points! Thank you! What role will Artificial Intelligence play in the future creation of music? Especially since it has the ability to agragate from the entire history of all music created to date?

3. Yes, record labels are too powerful and stifling the industry. For instance, they have a tendency to push the boundaries of ethical behavior to the extreme, frequently crossing the line into exploitation and the stifling of creative talent. Individuals have done a good job of marketing themselves. They have created music on their own, communicated with their audiences through the channels available, and gotten their work out there without any contract from record labels. As a music fan, I would like to see a more diverse music scene. The cultural values and contributions of diverse musicians and genres provide the ideal platform for exploration and learning. So, listening to music from other cultures will create an understanding that goes beyond personal experience and create a more global perspective. Artists will be less dependent on record labels in five (5) years, due to the fact that these labels are willing to utilize their audience as a means of creating their own content and coercing them into purchasing their products. Most likely, the direction of music in the future will mirror the advances in contemporary technology. It will function as a window to the past, kept open by any musicians who continue to make music in more conventional ways, be extremely sociable, comparable to social media, and increasingly computer based.

1. Excellent! Well said here – “Most likely, the direction of music in the future will mirror the advances in contemporary technology. It will function as a window to the past, kept open by any musicians who continue to make music in more conventional ways, be extremely sociable, comparable to social media, and increasingly computer based.”

4. I believe that most record labels are too powerful and that they are stifling the industry. They are holding these artistes in contracts that they can not get themselves out of and a lot of these artistes would come out after years of signing to these labels and talk about things behind the scenes that they are experiencing. I feel like most of these artistes do what they love so to have a record deal that stifles that talent or prevents an artist from growing, makes zero sense in the business. For this very reason, a lot of unsigned artistes are encouraged to remain unsigned and push harder. As a music fan, I do think there needs to be a more diverse music scene, but I believe that can only happen when people stop glorifying crime and violence in our society. I think the future of the music industry in 5 years is not looking too good, I already feel like the true form of rap/hip-hop is dying out and I can even say the same for reggae. I think afrobeat is making its way on a global scale so in the next 20 years or so, who knows, we might be listening to songs with more meaning and more sensuality.

1. Ye, I agree a lot of artist do come out years later and talk about what they experience. I seen a lot of them loose their minds first then get sober and talk about what the industry has put them through it’s pretty sad. I know I never want to be famous it seems like a curse but I want to be rich but not super rich.

5. An individual’s mood can be improved by music, which can also stimulate or soothe them. Another crucial benefit of music is that it enables us to experience almost all of the emotions we go through in life. It’s true that the record label’s function in music has evolved significantly during the past few decades. It’s obvious that record companies continue to have a lot to offer for both up-and-coming and seasoned performers. Even if they are no longer the only ones in charge of distribution and promotion, they still possess the skills, assets, and relationships necessary for widespread success in the music business.
    This sense of intrigue and desire to discover new things can be stoked by music. Listeners might experience the unexpected and have a far deeper awareness of their surroundings by hearing new music. I’d want to see a more varied music scene as a music lover. The listeners could profit from it as it might introduce them to fresh beats. It would make it possible for artists to have a larger fan base, which would aid in their success.
    In five or twenty years, I believe the music industry will have undergone a significant update. Example, how the metaverse takes the place of our virtual world.The metaverse is still in its infancy, but it is becoming increasingly popular within the music business. Although it won’t completely replace attending live shows, it could have an influence on how music lovers consume music. Musicians may provide a full musical experience, listeners can virtually attend performances anywhere in the globe.

1. Hello Sudipta! I agree with your response, especially on how the mood of an individual is affected by music, there are actually many scientific studies to support this claim, music has a lot of impact in our mind and emotions and yes, it seems like there will be an expansion in years to come. The Meta verse is something that is just beginning to start up, and it’ll take lots of time for it actually grow to a more receptive volume, with it the music business will expand within, creating more and more opportunities for many new artists or just new creators in general.

6. In my opinion, record labels are too powerful and stifling the industry. Labels can often push the boundaries of what constitutes ethical behavior beyond the point of no return, and regularly cross the line between behaviorism and tackling creative talent in such a way that it limits the individual’s personal experience. In the past few decades, independent artists have created their own music, taken advantage of the channels available for communicating with their audiences and been able to get their work. Currently, I feel that record labels are gaining too much power over emerging and upcoming artists and they are taking advantage of them to their benefit. Additionally, as the year’s pass and music ages, I also believe that more and more artists will start venturing out on their own to be able to have more freedom and control over what they promote to the world as time passes. In addition, you do not need to be tied down to a contract with a record label in order for this to happen. In 5 years, artists will be more independent from these record labels, in part because these labels are willing to manipulate their fans so they can create their own content and manipulate them into buying their products. In terms of the future of music, I am sure that it will follow the same trends as the modern technological developments we are seeing today. There will be a tremendous social component to it, which will be similar to social media, and the technology will be more computerized. Any musicians who continue to create music in traditional ways in the future will be given this opportunity as a window into the past. There are countless stories of artists who have been through trials and tribulations due to bad contracts, which eventually left them with a lot of money to survive on. In my opinion, it’s a shame that record labels are so willing to take advantage of musicians in the manner they have done. It is evident from the fact that they place a hold on many of these artists’ works, performances, and other skills that they may want to showcase to the world in the future.

1. Hi Sarah, I agree with your response and it’s sad that record labels want to take advantage of musicians. Yes, in five years, artists will be less dependent on record labels because these labels want to utilize their audience as a means of creating their own content and influence them into purchasing their products. I agree, for the future of the music industry, it will follow the same trends happening in modern technology today.

7. As a huge fan of music I’ve recognized a while ago that record labels have an absurd amount of power and control over the industry as well as artists. They leverage connections & money to keep the advantage on a potential star, take percentages off your likeness & creativity because they’re “giving you a platform” or more exposure. It’s been that way for decades and for as much as artists nowadays are smartening up I believe it’ll take a massive shift of ownership within the industry for things to truly change.

As a fan I’d love to see more diversity. It seems in America the same 3 variants of sound always get pushed to the mainstream. However if you look hard enough there’s tons of variety. I don’t see much change in 5 years for the music industry, probably will find a new way to capitalize off streaming sales but that’s about it, I think the formula is already set for success. In 20 years we might see something change, I’m not sure what but that’s enough time for something different to pop up.

8. Record labels can push the limits of ethical behavior to the extreme, and regularly cross lines into exploitation and the stifling of creative talent. People created music independently, made use of the channels available to communicate with their audiences, and got their work out there. All without being committed to an extortionate contract from record labels. In 5 years, Experts predict that artists and labels will start providing music stems and visual assets to fans so that they can manipulate them and create their own content. Think of it as an elevated version of TikTok’s Duet. in 20 years, The future of music will most likely follow the same trends we are seeing in modern technology. It will be incredibly social similar to social media, and it will become increasingly computer-based. it will serve as a window to the past, held open by any musicians continuing to create music in more traditional ways.

9. think record labels can be too powerful because they can trap artists. I read online that new gullible artists are coerced into signing deals that are not really beneficial for them. Once they sign the dotted line they have to obey the label or face being blacklisted or sued out of their hard work. I think the record labels should push good artists and good deals. So they can help their label become more popular and gain more artists.

I think back than the music scene was not as diverse but it has now become more open towards all type of genres and people. However, I think that music being more diverse is not bad. It could benefit the listeners because it can expose them to new beats. It would allow artists to have more of a following to help them become successful.

I honestly do not know what the music industry will be like in five or twenty years. The music industry is ever changing and will never be the same. If I were to imagine what it could be like I would say it would involve different types of melodies or even sampling of older music to expose to the new generation. It could have new and different artists from different musical backgrounds and have and equal amount of male or female artists. Music is music if it changes people will still be there to listen.

1. Hi Juan, your response is very informative. I agree record labels are too powerful and stifling the industry. I would also like to see a more diverse music scene in the sense that contributions of diverse musicians provide insight into personal experience and create a more global perspective.

1. I agree record labels need a more diverse sound. Where more artists can be free to explore and do as they please with sound and lyrics.

10. Record Labels are too powerful and stifling the industry through exclusivity and the exploitation of artists. Like many media and arts industries, record labels create a tight-knit, exclusive system that acts as a filter for which artists get popular and famous. It’s more about who you know than your skill or what you can bring to the table. Obviously, it affects diversity as these labels as it is difficult to catch the attention of music labels. So many other types of artist who break their respective genres aren’t able to be found since it isn’t sought after or overlooked. Record labels also take a large portion of the artist’s profits however since they were the only way to obtain success, artists could do nothing about this. However the internet gave power to the people, not only to artists to distribute the art, but it gave power to the consumer to obtain easy access to the art. I think the music industry five years from now will have a more diverse roster of artists thanks to social media apps like Tik Tok and Spotify democratizing the music industry. However, corporations beginning to see the benefit of these platforms, and record labels may be able to once again obtain control over the industries by paying these platforms to boost themselves back into dominance.

1. I totally agree on the sttifling of artists in the industry. I read somewhere that labels will sign artists and not promote them only to not let the competition have them. You think they would want their artists to succeed but to them money is the only factor in who they promote.

2. Hi Ethan, I also believe that in five years, there will be a more diverse range of musicians in the music industry. Like, metaverse would be major big changer. For musicians and spectators, the metaverse is opening up a new gateway for experiencing performances in a virtual realm.

11. Record labels can push the limits of ethical behavior to the extreme, and regularly cross lines into exploitation and the stifling of creative talent. People created music independently, made use of the channels available to communicate with their audiences, and got their work out there. All without being committed to an extortionate contract from record labels. In 5 years, Experts predict that artists and labels will start providing music stems and visual assets to fans so that they can manipulate them and create their own content. Think of it as an elevated version of TikTok’s Duet. in 20 years, The future of music will most likely follow the same trends we are seeing in modern technology. It will be incredibly social similar to social media, it will become increasingly computer-based. it will serve as a window to the past, held open by any musicians continuing to create music in more traditional ways.

1. Hi Faith,
      The trend seems to be more artists trying to do more direct to consumers, to bypass the middle which would be the record label. Luckily for an artist, information is available at their fingertips so they can make wiser decisions. At the end of the day, an artist should come to realize they are a business and that needs to be taken care of properly.

2. I think when artists create music independently it is better for them because they have complete total freedom in their lyrics and sound. When labels get involved they create an image they think would sell but all that should matter is the music.

12. I definitely believe that record labels are too powerful. Think about the case where an artist dies and a posthumous album is released from the artist, the label takes the majority of the money. I understand they were the label that the artist signed to but at the same time the music and the money that came from that last album belongs to the family of the artist. The artist won’t have any new music and that album will be the final income they’ll provide for their family so it’s only fitting they receive all the profit that came with it. I do think that the music scene right now is changing and I think it’s becoming more diverse. Artists are producing music that is different from what would typically be “fit” for them. Just think about Lil Nas X producing a country song as a Black artist. It’s so different from what is expected of him and only making it better. Drake released an album over the summer that’s more house and dance music, which is so different from his typical rap/pop songs. It’s so refreshing to see these artists venturing out to different genres and making the music world a little more diverse. However that’s not all cases, in 5 years I do believe music will change and kind of sound all the same. A lot of artists are seeing what type of music is successful and makes the most money, so it’s bound for music to start sounding the same. In 20 years, I honestly have no clue how music will be, but I do hope it’s not the same sounding music that a lot of artists are releasing now.

1. I knew that record labels are greedy but to keep all the money is so crazy. Part of that should go to existing family members to help them with the loss of their loved one. But I cannot be shocked with record labels since money is their game. They would do anything to save a penny.

2. When you brought up the idea of the death of the artist and record labels making money despite or even through their deaths it reminded me of the fact that today they are able to replicate the voice of a living or dead artist and have them sing from beyond the grave. Do you think this may impact the way the artist or the artist’s family makes money? If it does, How so?

13. Thé music industry is one of the most powerful and profitable industries on earth. They have the power to make or break artists. They can do that by supporting their artists in every way that they can and they can also destroy them by black listing them and not letting them go viral on any platforms. I believe that record labels are way too powerful and that artists should take their power back. I Believe this Because record labels can be screwing over other artists for years and years and many artists come up broke and not even owning their own music. This is a horrible event when even you can’t own your own music at all. Record labels then expect the artist to push out more music while supporting and if they don’t meet a certain threshold then they have to be booted out of the label and then they owe a lot of money to the label messing up the artists career. This is why artists should go independent and many people are pushing for that including their fans. As a music fan I would like to see a more diverse music scene Because it will bring out more artists and more music taste that peope will like and appreciate. I believe in 5 years the future of music will progress and a lot more artists will be independent and have their own business’s. I also believe the same thing will happen in 20 years from now where many artists will be independent and have control over their own music sense and they wouldn’t need a record label. That is what’s going to happen years from now.

1. Hey Ray,
      I do agree with you. I hope that in 20 years artists are more independent. Most labels suck all of the content that they can get out of these artists and it makes them produce the music that they actually don’t like. Like Playboi Carti hasn’t officially released music in a while and I think because labels are forcing him to release some stuff. So a few years ago he featured in a Drake song and fans hated it saying that was the worst feature he’s ever done. They force these artists to release anything just for a money grab. Thank you for sharing.

2. I never got why record labels would purposely hurt their own artists. If anything I believe that would earn them a bad reputation and people in the music industry would avoid them. But when you have millions of dollars a few bad deals do not hurt in the long run.

14. I believe that record labels are very powerful and lead the current music industry. Presently like never before numerous artists are making their own foundation with digital broadcast and interview-style shows on YouTube and Spotify. A large number of them make sense of the preliminary hardships that happened to them due to terrible agreements at last passing on them with low finances to squeeze by. It’s a disgrace record marks exploit performers the manner in which they did. I agree with the idea that music is basically as different as it’s at any point. At the point when you pay attention to music nowadays you some of the time couldn’t in fact determine what classification it is.

1. I agree with you in the sense that record labels have way too much power and that artists need to start to take control on their own Music. Once they realize that and start the process of doing that then they will be unmatched and record labels will still be around but not have that much of an influence over artists in the future as they do now.

15. Recently the recording academy recently move one of Nicki Minaj’s songs to the pop category from the rap category, which could make it harder for her to acquire a grammy she voiced her opinion, stating many artists should be informed as to why songs are switched, she felt her song should have stayed in the rap category and not transitioned into the pop category this change could prevent her from achieving the Grammy in the pop category instead of the rap category.
    There is huge diversity in music I have noticed many artists featured on each other tracks. This gives a new listener the opportunity to learn about a new artist they may not have never thought of hearing.
    These music labels know that an artist wants to make enough money to take care of their whole family, so unfortunately the artist is locked into these deals but the end result works against the artist.

1. Good points! Who gets to make the decision about genre change? Most likely the company that advanced the artist the money and signing contract. Im going to look into this case a bit more as its a good one to examine! Thank you!

2. Hey Tracey,
      I agree there is diversity right now in music. They are so many features in music that one wouldn’t expect. Like the Kanye West song FourFiveSeconds that features Rihanna and Paul McCartney. I don’t think that this a feature someone would expect. At the end of the day, it was a successful song and brought attention to Paul McCartney to newer generations that didn’t know his older music in the Beatles. Thank you for sharing.

3. Hi Tracey,

I never heard about that situation happening to her. I find that interesting because I thought from the music that she made she was trying to be “pop”. I agree that the record labels are preying on people who would do almost anything to get a deal for financial gains.

4. I think the recording academy does what it does for their own benefit and not for their own artists. If it hurts their artists they shrug it off because it makes them money and gain them popularity. The only way to fix it is by having artists stand up for themselves and their music because if not it will be a never ending cycle.

16. I agree that record labels are way too powerful and are stifling the industry. I’ve seen so many countless times of artists from Taylor Swift to Kanye to T pain and much more who expose record labels and how much control they really have on them. It’s shocking yet very sad to acknowledge how much these artists are really profiting from what they are making. The video talks about the 360 deal which basically gives the record labels the ability to take a percentage of earnings from all of an artist’s revenue streams. I learned that on Spotify each stream play is $0.027 cents which is a very low number as it is and record labels are still taking a percentage of that small number. I sympathize with these artists who put their blood sweat and tears into their craft and aren’t getting the right compensation for it. I feel like music is very diverse already in many ways and in my opinion, music is more diverse than it’s ever been compared to the past where music was tied into race. Now we see latin musicians, Korean groups etc winning huge awards in foreign countries and even collaborating with each other. Hopefully in 5-20 years we will continue to see music become more diverse in ways we can’t even comprehend yet and I hope to see artists win this ongoing battle with record labels and get the pay they deserve.

1. Well said! I agree, and more and more artists are collaborating and opting out of the traditional methods of getting their work out into the world. Being taken advantage of is an understatement at this point. I think we we will be seeing a lot more artists sharing those stories about they were used and or treated so poorly with record labels. Those stories are the catalyst for others to follow. This will expose the bad peeps and hopefully change this model.

2. I agree and I like the fact How many artists try to call out many other record labels and call them out on the horrible things they have done and how they like to take advantage of artists

17. To be honest I believe record labels are too powerful. Now more than ever many artist are creating their own platforms with podcast and interview style shows on youtube . Many of them explaining the trial and tribulations that happened to them because of bad contracts ultimately leaving them with much money to get by. It’s a shame record labels take advantage of musicians the way they did. I believe music is as diverse as its ever been. When you listen to music now a days you sometimes can’t even tell what genre it is. In five years I see more artist taking more ownership of their music and making record labels less relevant. I think with all the information out today, more artist are aware of the importance of the ownership of their music. In 20 years I think music may be genre-less and the artist will no longer need big record label companies. They will either come together or create their own platforms to sell the music direct to consumers.

1. Cool, I agree! I think a lot of artists will be sharing their stories about how they have been taken advantage of.. a lot more transparency will be shared.
      Artists coming together to do more cross disciplinary collaborative work seems like a powerful new way to creating too!

2. Hi, Marshall I agree with your response that, ” Many of them explaining the trial and tribulations that happened to them because of bad contracts ultimately leaving them with much money to get by. It’s a shame record labels take advantage of musicians the way they did.” I agree that record deals and labels are too powerful as well. They place a hold on many of these artists’ work, performances, and other skills that they might want to show the world. I think record labels feel they have too much power and they take great advantage of rising and upcoming artists. I also think that as time passes and music ages more and more artists will start branching off on their own, so they can have more freedom and control f what they promote to the world.

3. I agree they shouldn’t take advantage of these musicians Becasue it’s killing diversity and many artists might not want to be inspired to make more music if they are under record labels that take advantage of them and mistreat their artists.

4. Marshall
      I agree with you, these record labels flash all this money to a new and starving artist with the hope of a signed and not read contract. I have noticed an increase in podcast and youtube types of showcases. it’s amazing how can change a situation around, which gives the artist the opportunity to show off their talent.